Saturday, January 8, 2011

LIFE REMINDER


A very lovely shot in Punakha and rite behind me is the scene of my village shengana


1. The Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with the First Step. This is actually my favorite one. As we all probably know, starting something we don't want to do is often the hardest part of finishing it. To deal with this, I tell myself that I'm going to work on that statistics problem set for five minutes. At the end of five minutes, I say "just five more." If you just do that a few times, you'll build up the momentum to the point where it's harder to stop than to keep going. This is a very effective way of getting things done, because it doesn't take much inner strength to say "I'm going to do five minutes of homework."
2. Write Everything Down. Sometimes you're able to remember all your homework and projects without writing them down in a planner, but at some point, you completely forget some big project or essay, and those zeros are lethal. I'm to the point now where I write everything down about four times. I have my backpack planner, which is just where I write assignments down as I get them. Then when I get home I transfer them to a bigger planner in a prioritized list format.
3. Make Use of Those Little Moments. You know how loose change adds up? It's the same way with little bits of time. Every day I look for just a couple of minutes of spare time to finish a worksheet or memorize some vocabulary words. Using those little bits of time effectively makes a big difference. It also works well for reading. A few pages here and a few pages there add up.
4. Treat Impossibilities as Challenges. This may not work for everyone, but it often works for me. Sometimes it looks like the laws of the universe state that you will not be able to complete this massive amount of work in the time you need to complete it, but if you look at it as a challenge to defeat the laws of the, you'll often find success. A couple Sundays ago I had 130 pages of dense Victorian literature I had to read for the next day, and normally I would have just said "I won't be able to finish this... why even bother wasting my time?" But this time I decided that I wasn't going to settle for anything less than finishing the reading, even if that meant pulling an all-nighter. Surprisingly, I finished by 8:00 or 9:00 pm. It worked because I treated it as a challenge.


Dochola pass




3 comments:

  1. Nice one dude , keep posting ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.. Nice post.. I got inspiration to keep on trying from this post. Thanks for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete